Thursday, August 13, 2009

Yoda, and Brent's 40th Birthday


This last weekend we celebrated my husband's 40th birthday. In our final ovation to his fading youth we feted my now aged spouse with a Star Wars/Luau party as a nod to the fancies of his youth, and his State of birth (HI.) In keeping with the theme, I attempted a "character cake." (In my defense, this all looks so easy when I watch it on "The Cake Boss"/"Ace of Cakes.") I created Yoda's body out of 4 layers of spice cake with maple frosting (Brent's request.) I fashioned his head and ears out of rice crispy treats, and then proceeded to cover them in green fondant. (Again, they make this look so easy on T.V.!) One important thing I learned: You have ONE, I repeat ONE chance with fondant. If you screw it up, you must start over. Putting fondant on top of fondant in order to hide your complete incompetence with handling fondant, does not work. After four hours of wrestling with a decapitated Yoda head, (or would it be pre-capitated, since he had yet to have his head placed on his body?) I finally had the finished, or as finished as I was going to get, product. Fortunately for all involved, Yoda does look better from behind a pair of beer goggles, or wine goggles, or inebriation agent of your choice goggles. There is a reason why we saved the cake for last.
Here for your viewing pleasure, I give you.... Yoda (or at least a somewhat plausible, if not highly maimed representation.)


4 comments:

  1. as I gaze at this AMAZING recreation of our favorite little space guy, I am wondering if you've ever seen the blog entitled "Cake Wrecks"? Methinks you'd find it hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do think he's cute. I wasn't making fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melani- I think he "Yoda" looks rather cute-at least I think he is smiling-and happy to be included in the party- Happy Birthday Brent...xoxo Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete