Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Melani & Ina Experiment

News Bulletin Just In...

Mild mannered housewife from the suburbs plans to topple the culinary giants and become the next Oprah Winfrey of Food.

So I decided to come up with a project of sorts. While not as ambitious as Julie Powell of Julie & Julia fame, I thought that maybe, just maybe I could at least expand my horizons and hone my culinary expertise with a project of my own. Immediately, of course, I thought of my BFF Ina Garten (see blog post #3.) She is my hero, my idol, my pedagogue for all things comestible, and my go-to gal when I know I need a recipe that will work the first time, every time. I thought, why not take Ina's collection of cookbooks, and go through them one by one, and catalog my progress and foibles? I will earn my doctorate in all things Ina, with supreme fabulousness as my paramount goal. Ina has 6 cookbooks. The first one is The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. My maiden voyage will be to accomplish Ina's first tome of 87 recipes by November 1, 2009. A fool's errand you say! Not so! This mild mannered housewife (who may, or may not swear like a trucker on occasion) will prevail! And anyway our names are kind-of a palindrome (or at-least an almost palindrome, to be a real palindrome we would have to be Melani & Inalem) so clearly it was meant to be...

2 comments:

  1. You know I'm always ready to take one for the team. Bring on the foodstuffs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you should add those half-sandwich in-laws to your tasting team. It might expand their horizons. I suspect chicken something will be one of their favorites.

    ReplyDelete